How many years can you realistically expect out of your roof? Choosing the material you use in constructing the right roof for you has advantages and disadvantages. Here are some frequently used materials available:
Asphalt Shingles– These are most commonly used among homeowners. Although less expensive to install, the average lifespan could be anywhere around 20 to 30 years.
Tile Roofs– Generally considered an advantage for cold climates, these type of roofs can last up to 50 years or more.
Wood Shingle Roofs– Although choosing a wood roof could last longer than asphalt shingles, it may be harder to maintain. This style of roof could last 30 to 40 years.
Metal Roofs– Lasting 50 years or more, a metal roof is an option. However, metal roofs are more expensive to install.
Making sure that you choose the best roofing material for your home is important based on your preference and budget. If you are unsure what roof would work best for you, contacting a roofing professional is a great idea.
Roof Repair and Replacement
The following is a few of the simple, yet effective, guidelines when deciding to repair or replace your roof. Whether you choose roof repair or completely replacing your roof, consulting a roofing professional first is a good idea.
1. Be cognizant of the age of your roof– Although this sounds simple, as the years go by many property owners become neglectful of their roof’s condition and safety. At a minimum, a yearly inspection with a qualified roofing contractor is a necessity. This is especially important as your roof passes more than 20 years in age.
2. Irregular shingles– You may notice that after some time the shingles have become warped or cracked. It is also common to see missing shingles as the roof ages.
3. Drooping Areas– Parts your roof hang lower than normal.
4. Sunlight and water– A water leak or sunlight is coming through your home is a sure indication that your roof needs attention. In cases of major water leaks, a complete roof replacement would prevent mold from spreading throughout your entire home.
5. A spike in your energy costs– If you have noticed an increase in your energy expenses over the last few months, it might be time to replace your roof.
Gillette Roofing supports our customers in making the best roofing decision for their homes. Noticing when a roof needs attention is important because it will save you costly expenses in the future.
What Causes Damage to our Roofs?
Knowing what causes your roof damage can be necessary to improve its quality and life. Consider the following tips to get the most out of your roof.
• Ignoring regular maintenance and inspections– Never underestimate something minor such as a crack or small leak. Small issues can become a much bigger problem if they are not handled immediately. Always have a professional nearby to help with the upkeep of your roof.
• Mother Nature– Especially living In Wyoming, the harsh elements, such as wind and ice, are a threat to our homes.
• Mold– Unsightly mold can cause your shingle roof to deteriorate over time.
• Overhanging Trees– If your home is in an area surrounded by trees, ensure that regular maintenance is done to keep possible heavy branches from falling on your roof.
• Unprofessional Workmanship– Any type of roofing service done for your home should always be conducted by an experienced contractor. Choosing otherwise will cost you time and money.
Gillette Roofing is the premier roofing contractor devoted to meeting the needs of all of our customers. Being educated about your roof can be a challenge, even if you are a seasoned homeowner. Our goal is to ensure you get the most life out of your roof and having a safe home to enjoy for years to come.